Ford has teamed up with AT&T to give owners of Ford’s upcoming electric vehicles the ability to remotely monitor, engage and control vehicle settings via information collected over the AT&T Wireless Network. Thanks to a wireless connection, vehicle owners will be able to control their vehicles even when they’re away from the car.
Ford believes that greater wireless control is essential in making electric car ownership simple, easy and engaging. Embedded wireless connection, and a dedicated app called MyFord Mobile, includes the ability for the owner to monitor and control a range of vehicle settings, plan trips, locate charging stations, or even pre-heat or cool their vehicle.
“Ford has been at the forefront of developing market leading telematics and infotainment services for its vehicles and we’re thrilled to be a part of this exciting and significant next step with the upcoming Focus Electric,” said Glenn Lurie, president of emerging devices, resale and partnerships, AT&T. “Connecting consumers directly to their electric vehicles in this new and innovative way is going to drive innovative and exciting levels of interaction.”
With Ford’s MyFord Mobile app, Focus Electric owners will have many features at their finger tips via their smartphone, including:
- Locate charging stations and get the destination sent to the vehicle
- Know if the vehicle can reach a specific charge station from its current location with the current charge level
- Create a journey with multiple stops, and determine the likelihood that the car has adequate charge for the full journey
- Find the car by creating a route from a mobile phone to the vehicle
- Receive alerts if the vehicle isn’t charging when it’s scheduled to, or if charging stops unexpectedly due to a power outage, plug removal or other event
“With a wireless connection, we’re putting battery charge and vehicle range information, along with an interactive, data-driven trip planning app, directly at the fingertips of our customers,” said Ed Pleet, product and business manager for Ford Connected Services. “This technology will keep drivers connected to vital information, enhancing their electric car ownership experience. The AT&T network is an important part of this equation and we’re pleased to have AT&T on board.”
Learn more about the fabulous Ford Focus Electric at Ford Dealers In Dallas TX or your local Ford dealer.